I stopped buying pre-made/packaged almond milk a few years ago. Conveniently around the same time I invested in a Vitamix. Store bought almond milk contains thickeners and emulsifiers such as carrageenan which are not the healthiest. If you own a blender I highly recommend you set aside time each week to make your own. You can add it to smoothies, make lattes or enjoy on it’s own. Because there are no emulsifiers it will tend to separate in the fridge so you will need to shake it before using.
1 cup of soaked almonds
4 cups of water
1/2 vanilla bean
pinch of salt
- Rinse the almonds well with cold water
- Place the almonds in a bowl and cover with water. Soak over night or 8-10 hours minimum
- Drain and rinse the almonds and transfer to your blender.
- Add 4 cups of water, 2 dates and half of a vanilla bean and salt
- Blend on high for 1 minute
- Slowly pour the mixture through a nut milk bag over a bowl. Squeeze the bottom of the nut milk bag until all the liquid is separated from the almond meal.
- Transfer to a 1 L mason jar and keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.